Four food facilities were named 2013 IPM Partner Awards winners by Orkin, The IPM Institute of North America and global public health organization NSF International. Now in its 10th year, the IPM Partner Awards honor facilities for their dedication to Integrated Pest Management (IPM) partnerships with Orkin.
IPM is an environmentally friendly pest management approach that emphasizes multiple methods of non-chemical pest control and prevention. The winning facilities were honored for their demonstrated commitment to comprehensive IPM programs that focus on vigilant sanitation, prompt adherence to structural pest management recommendations, diligent record keeping and staff participation in IPM training sessions.
“IPM can only truly succeed when there is a strong partnership,” said Orkin Director of Quality Systems Zia Siddiqi, Ph.D. “This year’s winning facilities have really gone above and beyond to collaborate with their Orkin teams and maintain successful IPM programs, and the results can be seen in their third-party audit performance.”
The 2013 IPM Partner Awards winners, selected from an elite group of nominees from across the country, are:
- Adams® Extract & Spice, LLC (Gonzales, Texas) – One of the oldest full-service spice and extract packaging and manufacturing facilities in the United States.
- Green Mountain Coffee Roasters, Inc. (Waterbury, Vt.) – A leader in specialty coffee and coffee makers, recognized for its award-winning coffees, innovative Keurig® single cup brewing technology, and socially responsible business practices.
- Petco DC528 – Mira Loma (Mira Loma, Calif.) – One of 10 regionally based distribution centers for the leading specialty retailer of premium pet food and supplies.
- Tarrier Foods Corp. (Columbus, Ohio) – One of the country’s largest producers and co-packers of chopped candies, ice cream toppings and salad toppings.
“By implementing a strong IPM program, these facilities have demonstrated a true dedication to food safety,” said Dr. Thomas Green, president of The IPM Institute of North America. “We’re proud to recognize and award them for their excellence and encourage other organizations to follow in their footsteps.”
As a co-presenter, NSF International brings to the program its food safety knowledge and auditing expertise.
“Effective pest control is one of the essential elements of a robust food safety management system,” said Jim Bail, Director of Food Safety Consulting for NSF International, a global public health organization with nearly 70 years of food safety expertise. “The 2013 winners demonstrated that they give pest control high priority within their organizations.”
About the Awards Jury
- James L. Bail, Director, Food Safety Consulting, NSF International
- Dawn H. Gouge, Ph.D., Associate Professor and Associate Specialist – Community IPM, University of Arizona
- Ron Harrison, Ph.D., Director of Technical Services, Orkin
- Frank Meek, BCE, International Technical and Training Director, Orkin
- Austin Frishman, Ph.D., B.C.E., Founder, AMF Pest Management Services, Inc.
- Thomas A. Green, Ph.D., President, The IPM Institute of North America, Inc.
- Zia Siddiqi, Ph.D., B.C.E., Director of Quality Systems, Orkin
About Orkin, LLC
Founded in 1901, Atlanta-based Orkin is an industry leader in essential pest control services and protection against termite damage, rodents and insects. The company operates more than 400 locations with almost 8,000 employees. Using a proprietary, three-step approach, Orkin provides customized services to approximately 1.7 million homeowners and businesses in the United States, Canada, Mexico, Europe, Central America, the Middle East, the Caribbean, Asia, the Mediterranean and Africa. Orkin is committed to studying pest biology and applying scientifically proven methods. The company collaborates with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and eight major universities to conduct research and help educate consumers and businesses on pest-related health threats. Learn more about Orkin at http://orkin.com. Orkin is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Rollins Inc. (NYSE: ROL).
About The IPM Institute of North America
The IPM Institute of North America, Inc. is an independent non-profit organization formed in 1998 to foster recognition and rewards in the marketplace for goods and service providers who practice IPM. The Institute’s mission is to leverage the power of the marketplace to improve health and environment through Integrated Pest Management and other sustainable practices. The Institute is a partner with Sysco Corporation on its IPM and Sustainable Agriculture Initiative with its processed fruit and vegetable suppliers, and with potato suppliers to McDonald’s Corporation, and co-leads the US National School IPM Working Group and International IPM Symposium, to be held next in Salt Lake City in March, 2015. The Institute is funded by grants from government, private foundations and industry, memberships and fees for services and programs. Learn more at www.ipminstitute.org.
About NSF International
NSF International is a global independent organization that writes standards, and tests and certifies products for the food, water, health sciences and consumer goods industries to minimize adverse health effects and protect the environment (nsf.org). Founded in 1944, NSF is committed to protecting human health and safety worldwide. The NSF Global Food Division provides expertise and accredited services across all supply chain sectors, from agriculture, produce, processing, distribution and dairy, to seafood, retail and restaurants. Services include Global Food Safety Initiative (GFSI) certification (SQF, BRC, GLOBALG.A.P., FSSC 22000, IFS, CanadaGAP); expert auditing, consulting and technical services; HACCP validation and inspection; and organic and gluten-free certification through QAI (Quality Assurance International). NSF is also the leading certifier of foodservice equipment, nonfood compounds and bottled water/beverages.