As homeowners step into the swing of spring, many will prepare their houses for warmer weather by eliminating dust and grime. In addition to clearing out the dirt, a seasonal spruce-up puts homeowners on the fast track to reducing hidden home threats. Simple steps like vacuuming regularly can help remove cockroach allergens that can cause asthma.
Through its partnership with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the National Center for Healthy Housing (NCHH) and the National Safety Foundation (NSF), pest control leader Orkin, Inc. has created a campaign to help educate individuals on how to protect themselves from threats in and around the home. The campaign combines the public health and safety expertise of its partners into a comprehensive resource of simple safety tips homeowners can use to help protect their families from domestic pest-, safety- and environment-related threats.
“We are proud to partner with several of the country’s premier health and safety organizations to provide prevention and safety tips for battling common threats in and around the home,” said Ron Harrison, Ph.D., director of training for Orkin, Inc. “Through this educational campaign, we can help families protect themselves against environmental hazards, including pests and the diseases they can carry, by identifying common hot spots and simple prevention steps.”
The experts at Orkin, the CDC, NCHH and NSF recommend homeowners adapt a checklist to reduce the risk of the following hidden home threats:
- Cockroaches can trigger asthma attacks, contaminate food and make you sick.
- Lead is a dangerous metal that can be found in peeling paint, soil and dust around your home—especially homes built before 1978.
- Radon is a naturally occurring, odorless, colorless, radioactive gas found at high levels in one out of every 15 homes.
- Foodborne illnesses can be transmitted through the improper storage, handling or cooking of food.
- Mold grows on moist surfaces and can cause allergic reactions including watery eyes, runny nose and trouble breathing.
- Rodents can squeeze through holes the size of quarters or dimes. Rodents (and the fleas they carry) can transmit harmful diseases.
To access a one-page guide with tips on how to reduce the risk of these and other home threats, visit Orkin’s Learning Center at www.orkin.com/learningcenter.
Orkin’s Hidden Home Threats campaign offers simple tips homeowners can use to help protect loved ones from domestic health hazards. For more information on how to reduce the risk of hidden home threats, visit www.orkin.com/learningcenter or call (800) 800-ORKIN.
Did You Know?
Spring cleaning helps put homeowners on the fast track to reducing hidden home pest-, safety- and environment-related risks. Following a simple safety checklist can help protect your family and pets. For more information on how to reduce the risk of hidden home threats, visit www.orkin.com/learningcenter or call (800) 800-ORKIN.