Winners Take Integrated Pest Management Top Honors
Four American companies were named 2009 Gold Medal IPM Partner Award winners by Orkin, Inc., The IPM Institute of North America, and NSF Cook & Thurber for their outstanding commitment to Integrated Pest Management (IPM) partnerships.
IPM, an environmentally friendly pest management approach, emphasizes multiple methods of non-chemical pest control and prevention. These four winners in the food processing industry utilize Orkin’s Gold Medal Protection, a comprehensive IPM service offering that focuses on vigilant sanitation, prompt adherence to structural pest management recommendations, diligent record-keeping and staff participation in IPM training sessions.
“An effective IPM program centers on a strong partnership between a facility and its pest management provider,” said Orkin Director of Quality Systems Zia Siddiqi, Ph.D. “This year’s winners exemplify what it takes to achieve IPM success. We commend them for going the extra mile to realize their pest management goals.
The 2009 Gold Medal IPM Partner Award winners selected from an elite group of 40 nominees throughout the United States include:
- Farbest Brands (Plain City, OH) – Custom manufacturer of liquid and dry products and distributor of specialty food ingredients and a 2007 Gold Medal IPM Partner Awards winner.
- PETCO Distribution Center #198 (Joliet, IL) – One of three main distribution centers for the leading specialty retailer of premium pet food and supplies.
- Saddle Creek Corporation – Del Monte Foods (Fort Worth, TX) – Warehousing and distribution facility for Del Monte Foods products.
- Tyson Foods – Monroe Facility (Monroe, NC) – Poultry processing facility for the world’s largest processor of chicken, beef and pork.
Now in its sixth year, the Gold Medal IPM Partner Awards began as an effort by Orkin and The IPM Institute of North America to encourage the use of IPM and other environmentally friendly pest management practices.
“Our 2009 Award winners are the cream of the crop,” said Dr. Thomas Green, president of The IPM Institute of North America. “We’re thrilled to recognize these top facilities for their excellence in the preventive maintenance and sanitation practices that define a true IPM program.”
As a co-presenter, NSF Cook & Thurber brings to the program its food safety auditing expertise.
“IPM programs are absolutely critical to food safety and quality assurance,” said Jim Bail, director of technical services, NSF International. “With pest control being a significant portion of food processors’ third-party audits, facilities must take active measures to ensure their pest management programs are top notch. This year’s Award winners set a great example for other facilities as they prepare for their next audits.”
About the Awards Jury
- Jim Bail, Director of Technical Services, NSF International
- Austin Frishman, Ph.D., B.C.E., Founder and President of AMF Pest Management Services, Inc.
- Dawn H. Gouge, Ph.D., Associate Professor and Associate Specialist – Community IPM, University of Arizona
- Thomas A. Green, Ph.D., President, The IPM Institute of North America, Inc.
- Ron Harrison, Ph.D., Director of Technical Services, Orkin, Inc.
- Frank Meek, B.C.E., Technical Director, Orkin, Inc.
- Zia Siddiqi, Ph.D., B.C.E., Director of Quality Systems, Orkin, Inc.
Founded in 1901, Atlanta-based Orkin, Inc. is an industry leader in essential pest control services and protection against termite damage, rodents and insects in the United States, Canada, Mexico, Central America and the Middle East. With more than 400 locations, Orkin’s almost 8,000 employees serve approximately 1.7 million customers. The company serves homeowners and numerous industries including food and beverage processing, foodservice, hospitality, healthcare, retail, warehousing, property/facilities management, schools and institutions. Learn more about Orkin Commercial Services by visiting www.orkincommercial.com. Orkin is a wholly owned subsidiary of Rollins, Inc. (NYSE: ROL).
About The IPM Institute of North America
The IPM Institute of North America, Inc. is an independent non-profit organization formed in 1998 to foster recognition and rewards in the marketplace for goods and service providers who practice IPM. The Institute’s mission is to accelerate adoption of IPM in agriculture and communities through consumer education and development of IPM standards for self-evaluation and IPM certification. The Institute is funded by grants from government, private foundations and industry, memberships and fees for services and programs. Learn more at www.ipminstitute.org.
About NSF Cook & Thurber
NSF Cook & Thurber is a division of NSF International, an independent, not-for-profit organization, that helps protect you by certifying products and writing standards for food, water and consumer goods (www.nsf.org). Founded in 1944, NSF is committed to protecting public health and safety worldwide. NSF is a World Health Organization Collaborating Centre for Food and Water Safety and Indoor Environment. Additional services include safety audits for the food and water industries, management systems registrations delivered through NSF International Strategic Registrations, Ltd., organic certification provided by Quality Assurance International and education through the NSF Center for Public Health Education.