Orkin's Commitment to Environmental Responsibility
Orkin’s Environmentally Responsible Approach to Service
Insects, rodents and other critters that humans consider pests are actually critical to maintaining the ecological balance of the earth – they become pests only when they endanger the health or property of humans. At Orkin, we believe that it is our responsibility to care for the earth’s environment while still helping to control pests in our customers’ homes and businesses.
Orkin offers Integrated Pest Management (IPM) programs that use an effective combination of treatment methods grounded in science to achieve acceptable levels of control with the least possible impact to humans, nontarget organisms and the environment. This is just one way Orkin partners with customers to create and provide customized plans to help prevent, treat and control pests in and around your home and workplace.
Orkin’s Commitment to Environmental Responsibility
- As part of our commitment to environmental responsibility, Orkin is a member of the National Pest Management Association’s Quality Pro program, which maintains rigorous ethical and operational standards for professional pest control operators.
- Responsible efforts such as use of GPS and route consolidation software reduce our emissions footprint by increasing efficient travel from customer to customer. Our usual every-other-month service frequency is more responsible than a monthly model, because it reduces mileage and fuel emissions by half.
- We select, operate and maintain our facilities and vehicles with an eye toward energy efficiency and wise use of other resources. Paper use is reduced by companywide recycling programs and electronic payroll systems. We encourage public transportation and vanpooling by offering discounts to participating coworkers. Our Environmental Stewardship Group is a team of coworkers from across the company who review Orkin practices and initiatives to monitor and maintain our responsible environmental stewardship.
- Orkin began the pest control industry’s first satellite training program in 2006 to reach thousands of coworkers efficiently. This program eliminated an estimated 1 million miles of travel that our coworkers previously logged to attend mandatory training sessions. This training also has an added benefit of not requiring that team members be away from their homes and families for several days at a time.
- Orkin uses products that are scientifically tested, proven and registered by the Environmental Protection Agency. Orkin’s world-class, award-winning training ensures that our technicians use the proper application techniques to help control pests effectively and in an environmentally responsible manner.
- Orkin is EcoWise-certified in portions of California.
- In October 2009, the Buckhead Area Transportation Management Association (BATMA) recognized Rollins, Inc., Orkin's parent company, as the winner of its "Best Overall Commuter Program" award in Atlanta.