I have centipede bugs in my home.
Question: I have a centipede issue. These bugs are in my home. Does anything kill them and keep them from coming back?
ANSWER: What you have seen is a house centipede. They can vary in size and color from light brown to pale brown. Their long legs and their rapid movements can be a little scary. Centipedes can deliver a painful bite if they are handled, but it’s the spiders and insects in the house that have something to worry about, since they are the preferred food for centipedes!
The house centipede lives outdoors, but is often found around the foundation of houses and other buildings. Centipedes prefer to rest in secluded places during the day. From these sites they may enter ground-level rooms. They may use door thresholds or gaps in the foundation. They do not come through drains, as this is a myth.
These animals are predators of spiders and insects. There are no nests of centipedes; they are independent hunters and do not gather together in one place. The young forage for themselves; they are smaller than the adults and about the same coloration (and speed).
Your Orkin Pest Specialist, who is trained in the science of pest control, will use the appropriate treatments such as crack and crevice treatments with residuals, dusts in voids and so on to remove the food sources for the centipedes. The Pest Specialist will also use monitor boards to trap the centipedes and assess the effectiveness of the treatments.
I would recommend you contact us and request an inspection of your home by a highly trained Orkin Man. Your Orkin Pest Specialist will inspect your home and look not just for issues with centipedes, but also other insects which are the food for centipedes. Upon assessing your situation, the Orkin Man will develop a customized solution that best fits your needs.
The Orkin Man used the information above to also answer the following questions submitted by Orkin.com users:
- Question: I have a centipede problem in my house. What is the best way to get rid of them, and how much would you charge to do that for me?
- Question: Do you have solutions for centipedes and millipedes?
- Question: Do Orkin’s treatments take care of centipedes?
- Question: We used Terminix about four years ago trying to get rid of a problem with centipedes, but the company was never successful. Can you get rid of centipedes? Do centipedes come from the drain pipes?
- Question: My girlfriend and I recently moved into a condo in Brighton, Mass. Recently we have been seeing the house centipede. Would your company be able to get rid of these bugs in our unit, or does the entire condo need to be exterminated?
Our Pest Library
Find out more about your suspects
Our Pest Library is full of up-to-date information on termites, ants, and cockroaches as well as more than 25 common household pests. Find out more information about their behavior, habits, and other cool facts.
Ask Your Question
Still didn’t find an answer to your question? Ask us on Google+ or fill out the form below and we’ll get right back to you with an answer. For service and billing questions please message us here.