Like tiny six-legged contortionists, cockroaches are the acrobats of the insect world. They’re able to bend and contort their bodies to squeeze through cracks, holes, and crevices as thin as a dime, and if you’re not vigilant, they could already be hiding in your home. We’re here to help and shine a light on where they could be hiding in your home.
- Furniture – Movie night on the couch is just as fun for cockroaches as it is for you especially when you drop chips and waste sweet soda on your cushions. Dark cracks and crevices in furniture are attractive these pests and provide a safe haven for them to lay their eggs. Be sure to inspect new and older furniture for eggs and vacuum these areas regularly.
- Ceilings – You may or may not want to look up, but a cockroach could be right about your head. They tend to enjoy hanging out in ceiling corners upside-down and may scurry off to a nearby crack or hole once the lights come on. Keep an eye for ceiling cracks and seal these areas to keep them making a clean getaway.
- Pipes – Cockroaches have a thing for moist and dark areas. These spots provide a water source and the ideal conditions for mold growth with cockroaches have been known to ingest. Check for leaks regularly and ensure pipes are insulated with gaps tapped off to prevent cockroaches from hiding in these areas.
- Appliances – Not only do large appliances like ovens and refrigerators provide a network of dark places for cockroaches to hide, but smaller gadgets like microwaves and toasters are also a popular hangout spot. The machines with running motors are attractive to cockroaches in providing refuge, heat, and also a great location to find food debris. Be sure to clean these appliances regularly.
- Cabinetry – Kitchen cabinetry and pantries are a gold mine for cockroaches, especially if there’s errant food around. They can root out the smallest crumb and love these dark spaces, so be sure you keep food in air-tight containers and clean out cabinets on a regular basis.
- Trim and Molding – Cockroaches are thigmotropic which means that they enjoy the sensation of something touching their bodies. Cracks in trim and crown molding are like joyful massage due to the tight fit. Ensure moldings fit walls snugly to prevent these pests from hiding in your walls.
- Electronics – Most people fail to clean their electronics, especially when they’re eating around them. Dropping crumbs around your computer or in the cracks of your keyboard is a treasure trove for cockroaches searching for food. Keep these areas clean.
If you still can’t shake cockroaches from invading your home, leave the treatment to the professionals. Contact your local Orkin professional to schedule an inspection and customize a plan that’s right for you.
“10 Cockroach Hiding Spaces” How Stuff Works