A staple for their aesthetics and ecological benefits, green roofs are remaining a top trend for office buildings across the country. As sustainable construction continues to progress, office managers must understand the pest control implications of vegetative roof systems.
Knowing what pests are a threat and understanding the risks they pose is the first step in figuring out an effective pest management system for these settings. Common pests that could be affecting your office building’s green roof include: rodents, birds, mosquitoes, bees, ants and caterpillars. Some of these critters can cause structural issues by damaging plantings, wires, utility lines, doors and poles, while others can transmit harmful diseases like Lyme disease and Zika virus. Check out our green roof tip sheet for more information on these pests and the risks they pose.
If pests are thriving on your green roof, try these 10 tips to keep your hope of a pest-free environment for tenants alive:
- Seal gaps around doors, pipes and fixtures with water-resistant sealant and metal mesh.
- Install door sweeps and weather stripping around all doors, and keep all entries to the roof closed as often as possible.
- Caulk around utility connections and outlets.
- Repair or replace torn or missing vent screens.
- Monitor leaky taps, air conditioning units and irrigation, as they can cause water accumulation.
- Empty garbage receptacles and keep the lids tightly sealed.
- Minimize plants that produce nuts, seeds and fruits, as they can attract pests.
- Avoid overwatering plants and keep water circulating in ponds and fountains.
- Educate employees and office building occupants on your office pest management system.
- Schedule staff trainings so that your sanitation and maintenance crews know the signs of pest activity and how to proactively combat them.
Green roofs offer many business benefits from increased employee engagement and productivity to energy that could save your business millions. If you’re thinking about constructing a green roof for your office, check out this blog for information on how pest control plays a role in your new office space construction.
Want more? You might also like:
With the COVID-19 pandemic forcing your business and customers to adapt to shelter-in-place and social distancing orders, pest control may be tough for you to manage right now, alongside all your other concerns. But with the reduction of human activity at your business, a larger number of pests are …
The current pandemic caused by COVID-19 has left many businesses struggling with tough decisions. And the sudden implementation of social distancing guidelines and shelter-in-place orders may have required you to halt operations without enough time for a proper shutdown. With less human activity …
At Orkin, we know that customers are the lifeblood of any business. With increased health concerns taking a toll on how many companies around the country and the world serve their customers, it’s crucial that we all step up to help in ways both large and small. Just as proper handwashing is a basic …