A staple for their aesthetics and ecological benefits, green roofs are remaining a top trend for office buildings across the country. As sustainable construction continues to progress, office managers must understand the pest control implications of vegetative roof systems.
Knowing what pests are a threat and understanding the risks they pose is the first step in figuring out an effective pest management system for these settings. Common pests that could be affecting your office building’s green roof include: rodents, birds, mosquitoes, bees, ants and caterpillars. Some of these critters can cause structural issues by damaging plantings, wires, utility lines, doors and poles, while others can transmit harmful diseases like Lyme disease and Zika virus. Check out our green roof tip sheet for more information on these pests and the risks they pose.
If pests are thriving on your green roof, try these 10 tips to keep your hope of a pest-free environment for tenants alive:
- Seal gaps around doors, pipes and fixtures with water-resistant sealant and metal mesh.
- Install door sweeps and weather stripping around all doors, and keep all entries to the roof closed as often as possible.
- Caulk around utility connections and outlets.
- Repair or replace torn or missing vent screens.
- Monitor leaky taps, air conditioning units and irrigation, as they can cause water accumulation.
- Empty garbage receptacles and keep the lids tightly sealed.
- Minimize plants that produce nuts, seeds and fruits, as they can attract pests.
- Avoid overwatering plants and keep water circulating in ponds and fountains.
- Educate employees and office building occupants on your office pest management system.
- Schedule staff trainings so that your sanitation and maintenance crews know the signs of pest activity and how to proactively combat them.
Green roofs offer many business benefits from increased employee engagement and productivity to energy that could save your business millions. If you’re thinking about constructing a green roof for your office, check out this blog for information on how pest control plays a role in your new office space construction.
Want more? You might also like:
Blood-sucking pests like ticks and mosquitoes are more than a nuisance — they can be a health risk. And they don’t just wreak havoc in your backyard; they can also affect your business. The truth of the matter is that mosquitoes and ticks can actually spread diseases to your employees and custome …
The potential costs of just one extreme weather or climate event in the U.S. can exceed $1 billion. With nearly 13 of these extreme, costly events happening annually, many people—and businesses—are left to deal with the aftermath of Mother Nature’s damaging behavior. This threatening weather can bri …
It’s raining rats and moths! Well, that may not be how the traditional saying goes, but pests can certainly come flooding into your facility following an extreme weather event. From tornadoes and hurricanes to substantial changes in temperature or rainfall, extreme weather can have a significant eff …