Food manufacturing and distribution honored for pest management excellenceATLANTA, Nov. 16, 2016 – Six food and pharmaceutical facilities were named winners of the 2016 IPM Partner Awards co-presented by Orkin Commercial, The IPM Institute of North America and global public health organization NSF International. The winners, selected by an Awards Jury comprised of esteemed experts in the pest management and food safety industries, were honored for their dedication to and success in their Integrated Pest Management (IPM) partnerships with Orkin.
“It is an honor to present our 2016 IPM Partner Award winners. Their pest management efforts and partnership are unmatched and the results of their IPM programs are clearly displayed at their facilities,” said Orkin Director of Quality Systems Zia Siddiqi, Ph.D. “Their programs are excellent examples of well-executed IPM, and we are glad to partner with them day in and day out.”
IPM is an environmentally responsible pest management approach that emphasizes multiple methods of non-chemical pest control and prevention. The winning facilities were honored for their demonstrated commitment to comprehensive IPM programs that focus on vigilant sanitation, prompt attention to structural pest management recommendations, diligent record keeping and staff participation in IPM training sessions and efforts.
The 2016 IPM Partner Awards winners, selected by the Awards Jury from an elite group of nominees from across the country, are:
- Leprino Foods (Lemoore, Calif.) – A global manufacturing leader with more than 60 years of history producing premium quality cheese, whey and dairy food ingredients.
- Magnolia Foods LLC (Mira Loma, Calif.) – California-based food manufacturer and SQF Level 3 certified supplier of corn and flour tortillas, and other related products, servicing the foodservice and retail industries.
- Petco DC #198 (Joliet, Ill.) and Petco DC #528 (Mira Loma, Calif.) – Two regionally based distribution centers for the leading specialty retailer of premium pet food and supplies.
- Pure's Food Specialties, Inc. (Broadview, Ill.) – A family owned and operated cookie manufacturing company, producing 60,000 pounds of cookie products per day.
- The Wright Group (Plain City, Ohio) – A leading provider of customized nutritional blends, premixes and nutritional ingredients to global leaders in the growing functional food and nutritional supplement markets.
“Abiding by IPM principles as these food manufacturing and distribution companies have done is no small feat,” said Dr. Thomas Green, president of The IPM Institute of North America and 2016 IPM Partner Awards juror. “It takes a high level of commitment and persistence to manage pests while also protecting the environment and reducing health concerns.”
Awards Juror Dr. David Baker, global technical director consulting and technical services for co-presenter NSF International, said, “Food safety is naturally at the forefront of my mind when I’m consulting, so I’m glad to see that the winners have done all that they can to create a food safety management system,” said Baker. “We’re proud of their programs and hope other manufacturing and distribution facilities will follow their example.”About the Awards Jury
- David Baker, Ph.D., M.P.H., M.S., global technical director consulting and technical services, NSF International
- Austin Frishman, Ph.D., B.C.E., founder, AMF Pest Management Services, Inc.
- Thomas A. Green, Ph.D., president, The IPM Institute of North America, Inc.
- Ron Harrison, Ph.D., director of technical services, Orkin
- Frank Meek, BCE, international technical and training director, Orkin
- Zia Siddiqi, Ph.D., B.C.E., director of quality systems, Orkin
Founded in 1901, Atlanta-based Orkin is an industry leader in essential pest control services and protection against termite damage, rodents and insects. The company operates more than 400 locations with almost 8,000 employees. Using a proprietary, three-step approach, Orkin provides customized services to approximately 1.7 million homeowners and businesses in the United States, Canada, Mexico, Europe, South America, Central America, the Middle East, the Caribbean, Asia, the Mediterranean and Africa. Orkin is committed to studying pest biology and applying scientifically proven methods. The company collaborates with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and eight major universities to conduct research and help educate consumers and businesses on pest-related health threats. Learn more about Orkin at http://orkin.com. Orkin is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Rollins Inc. (NYSE: ROL).About The IPM Institute of North America
The IPM Institute of North America, Inc. is an independent non-profit organization formed in 1998 to foster recognition and rewards in the marketplace for goods and service providers who practice IPM. The Institute’s mission is to leverage the power of the marketplace to improve health and environment through Integrated Pest Management and other sustainable practices. The Institute is a partner with Sysco Corporation on its IPM and Sustainable Agriculture Initiative with its processed fruit and vegetable suppliers, and with potato suppliers to McDonald’s Corporation, and co-leads the US National School IPM Working Group and International IPM Symposium, to be held next in 2018. The Institute is funded by grants from government, private foundations and industry, memberships and fees for services and programs. Learn more at www.ipminstitute.org.About NSF International
NSF International is an independent global organization that writes standards, and tests and certifies products for the building materials, food, water, health sciences and consumer goods industries to minimize adverse health effects and protect the environment (nsf.org). Founded in 1944, NSF is committed to protecting human health and safety worldwide. Operating in more than 155 countries, NSF International is accredited by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) and is a Pan American Health Organization/World Health Organization Collaborating Center on Food Safety, Water Quality and Indoor Environment. NSF Sustainability draws upon this expertise in standards development, product assurance and certification, advisory services and quality management systems to help companies create more sustainable products, operations, systems and supply chains.