United States’ Best Win 2014 IPM Partner Awards
Food and Pharmaceutical Manufacturing Facilities Honored for Integrated Pest Management Excellence
Five food and pharmaceutical manufacturing facilities were named winners of the 2014 IPM Partner Awards co-presented by Orkin, The IPM Institute of North America and global public health organization NSF International. Now in its 11th year, the IPM Partner Awards honor facilities for their dedication to Integrated Pest Management (IPM) partnerships with Orkin.
“The IPM Partner Awards are significant because they represent what all audited manufacturing facilities should be striving for when it comes to pest management: exemplary adherence to IPM and partnership,” said Orkin Director of Quality Systems Zia Siddiqi, Ph.D. “It is these characteristics that help facilities achieve pest management success.”
IPM is an environmentally responsible pest management approach that emphasizes multiple methods of non-chemical pest control and prevention. The winning facilities were honored for their demonstrated commitment to comprehensive IPM programs that focus on vigilant sanitation, prompt attention to structural pest management recommendations, diligent record keeping and staff participation in IPM training sessions.
The 2014 IPM Partner Awards winners, selected from an elite group of nominees from across the country, are:
- Carolina Beverage Group, LLC (Mooresville, N.C.) – A world-class co-packing producer for numerous national and international beverage brands that has a current capacity of more than 45 million cases annually.
- Petco #300 DC (Stockton, Calif.) and Petco DC #528 (Mira Loma, Calif.) – Two regionally based distribution centers for the leading national pet specialty retailer.
- Shaklee (Groveport, Ohio) – A respected leader in the direct selling industry that, for more than 57 years, has developed scientifically tested, environmentally friendly nutritional and herbal supplements, personal care products, water and air purification systems, and household cleaners.
- The Wright Group (Plain City, Ohio) – A leading provider of customized nutritional blends, premixes and nutritional ingredients to global leaders in the growing functional food and nutritional supplement markets.
Dr. Thomas Green, president of The IPM Institute of America, who serves on the Awards Jury, reinforces the crucial role IPM plays in a sustainable approach to pest management. “A commitment to IPM is a commitment to protecting the environment as well as the health of our food supply,” he said. “At the IPM Institute of North America, our goal is to accelerate the adoption of IPM, and so it is with great pride that we recognize these facilities that have gone above and beyond to achieve IPM excellence and set a great example for other facilities in the industry.”
Also serving on the jury is co-presenter NSF International, which brings food safety knowledge and technical expertise to the program. “As one of the pillars of food safety, effective pest control must be a priority in the manufacturing industry. The 2014 winners recognize that pest management is not a one-time event but an ongoing process that must adapt and improve over time to be successful,” said James Bail, senior food safety consultant for NSF International, a global public health organization with 70 years of food safety expertise.”
About the Awards Jury
- James L. Bail, senior food safety consultant, NSF International
- Austin Frishman, Ph.D., B.C.E., founder, AMF Pest Management Services, Inc.
- Thomas A. Green, Ph.D., president, The IPM Institute of North America, Inc.
- Ron Harrison, Ph.D., director of technical services, Orkin
- Frank Meek, BCE, international technical and training director, Orkin
- Zia Siddiqi, Ph.D., B.C.E., director of quality systems, Orkin