North America’s Best Named 2006 Gold Medal IPM Partner Award Winners
U.S. and Canadian Winners Take Integrated Pest Management Top HonorsATLANTA, October 17, 2006 – Orkin, Inc. and The IPM Institute of North America today announced the eight winners of the 2006 Gold Medal IPM Partner Awards, which honor commercial facilities that have shown extraordinary commitment to Integrated Pest Management (IPM).
IPM is an approach to pest management that stresses multiple methods of control, with an emphasis on minimizing pesticide use. The Gold Medal IPM Partner Awards specifically honor companies that have shown the greatest dedication to making IPM work at their sites through vigilant sanitation, prompt adherence to structural pest management recommendations, diligent record-keeping and staff participation in IPM training sessions.
An awards jury of IPM experts selected the winning facilities from an elite group of 62 nominees throughout the United States and Canada. The 2006 Gold Medal IPM Partner Award winners are:UNITED STATES:
• Ample Industries (Franklin, Ohio) – The leading supplier of nested paperboard cartons to the restaurant and foodservice industries. www.ampleindustries.com
• Endangered Species Chocolate (Indianapolis, Ind.) – The best-selling brand of natural chocolate in the natural foods category. Ten percent of net profits are donated to organizations involved in the conservation of species, habitat and humanity. www.chocolatebar.com
• The Cheesecake Factory Bakery Incorporated (Calabasas Hills, Calif.) – The leading manufacturer of fine baked desserts. Provides more than 50 varieties of its signature cheesecakes and other baked desserts to The Cheesecake Factory restaurants, as well as a variety of products to the wholesale club segment, retail markets and foodservice distributors.
• Tree of Life (Bloomington, Ind.) –The nation’s leading distributor of natural, organic, specialty, ethnic and gourmet food products. www.treeoflife.comCANADA:
• Cavendish Farms (New Annan, Prince Edward Island) – A production facility for frozen potato products. www.cavendishfarms.com
• Ganong Bros. Ltd. (St. Stephen, New Brunswick) – Founded in 1873, Ganong is Canada’s oldest chocolate confectioner. www.ganong.com
• High Liner Foods Inc. (Lunenburg, Nova Scotia) – A processor and marketer of superior seafood and frozen pasta products in North America. www.highlinerfoods.com
• Maidstone Bakeries (Brantford, Ontario) – A world-class, state-of-the-art manufacturing facility for bakery goods.
All of the nominees employ Orkin’s Gold Medal Protection, a comprehensive IPM service that emphasizes quality assurance and documentation.
“By focusing on facilities that rely on IPM from a business standpoint, we get outstanding nominees who are truly dedicated to smarter pest control,” said Orkin Quality Assurance Director Zia Siddiqi, Ph.D. “These awards recognize the absolute best at IPM from across North America.”
Orkin and The IPM Institute came together in 2004 to introduce the Gold Medal IPM Partner Awards because they share a common interest in encouraging environmentally friendly practices.
“IPM promotes healthier environments by reducing conditions that can lead to pest problems and encourage pesticide use,” said Dr. Thomas Green, President of The IPM Institute of North America, Inc. “We’re very pleased to be recognizing these top performers for their excellent preventive maintenance and sanitation practices.”About The IPM Institute of North America
The IPM Institute of North America, Inc. is an independent non-profit organization formed in 1998 to foster recognition and rewards in the marketplace for goods and service providers who practice IPM. The Institute’s mission is to accelerate adoption of IPM in agriculture and communities through consumer education and development of IPM standards for self-evaluation and IPM certification. The Institute is funded by grants from government, private foundations and industry, memberships and fees for services and programs. Learn more at www.ipminstitute.org.About the Awards Jury
• Austin Frishman, Ph.D., B.C.E., Founder and President of AMF Pest Management Services, Inc.
• Thomas A. Green, Ph.D., President of the IPM Institute of North America, Inc.
• Frank Meek, B.C.E., Technical Director, Orkin, Inc.
• Zia Siddiqi, Ph.D., B.C.E., Director of Quality Assurance, Orkin, Inc.