Need pest help? Save $50 on your first recurring service today with code GET50
Are Millipedes Poisonous?
Are Millipedes Venomous? Millipedes, unlike centipedes, are not venomous and are predominantly considered to be non-poisonous. However, there are some millipede species that produce irritating fluids from glands located on the side of their body.These fluids can cause relatively minor irritation if it comes into contact with the skin of someone who is sensitive to these fluids and has unknowingly crushed one or more millipedes.
The millipede’s defensive fluids are quite pungent, in addition to causing skin irritation to some individuals.
For this reason, use protective gloves or thoroughly wash your hands when handling millipedes since differentiating between millipedes is extremely hard to determine.
Therefore, never handle millipedes with your bare hands; instead, be sure, always wear hand coverings if you touch or otherwise handle millipedes.
Another recommendation is to never rub one’s eyes if millipedes were handled since their defensive fluid is extremely irritation to the eyes.
As one might expect, millipedes use these irritating fluids for defense against predators.
Dig Deeper on Millipedes
Connect with Us
Our customer care team is available for you 24 hours a day.
Find a Branch
Our local Pros are the pest experts in your area.