How Does West Nile Virus Affect Mosquitoes?

West Nile Virus and Mosquito Facts

Mosquito Biting Human Hand

Mosquito Biting Human Hand

HOW IS WNV TRANSMITTED?

Most people become infected with West Nile virus (WNV) from the bite of an infected mosquito. Mosquitoes pick up the virus when they feed on infected birds and these infected mosquitoes can then spread the virus to humans and other animals.

In a very small number of cases, WNV is caused by blood transfusions, organ transplants and from mother to baby during pregnancy, delivery or breastfeeding.

WHAT TYPE OF MOSQUITOES TRANSMIT WEST NILE VIRUS?

Mosquitoes in the genus Culex transmit WNV. This virus is not transmitted from person to person. Since dead birds may have died from the effects of WNV, wear protective gloves when handling dead birds or any other animal.

WHERE ARE THE MOSQUITOES TYPICALLY DISTRIBUTED?

Culex pipiens in the northern states,

Culex tarsalis in the western states and

Culex quinquefasciatus in the southern states are the mosquitoes most often implicated in WNV transmission.

SYMPTOMS OF WNV

Many people (70-80 percent) who get WNV are asymptomatic, while the other 20 percent of people show signs of:

  • Fever

  • Vomiting

  • Diarrhea

  • Rash

  • Headaches

  • Bodily aches

A majority of people fully recover with only fatigue and weakness remaining for up to a few months. However, some people (less than one percent) develop illnesses such as encephalitis (inflammation of the brain or surrounding brain tissues).

IS WNV IN THE US?

In 1999, West Nile virus made its first U.S. appearance in New York. Since then, WNV has spread throughout the continental U.S. states and the District of Columbia.

In 2015, slightly more than 2,000 cases of WNV were reported, and California, Texas and Colorado had the most cases.

PREVENTION & TREATMENT OF WNV

Simply protecting against mosquito bites is the most effective way to prevent WNV.

Apply insect repellents before going outside

Wear shirts with sleeves, pants, and socks and shoes

Manage sources of water where mosquitoes can breed and develop.

There is no vaccine or specific, effective antiviral drug treatments for WNV. Supportive care and pain relievers can be used to relieve some symptoms. In severe cases patients that are WNV infected will require hospitalization.

REFERENCE: http://www.cdc.gov/westnile/index.html

Resources

Protect Your Home From Mosquitoes

Asian Tiger Mosquito Identification & Prevention

Image coming soon

How do Mosquitoes Transmit Zika Virus?

Pest Control

Get Rid Of Mosquitoes | Mosquito Pest Control

Mosquito image

Mosquito Facts and Information | Mosquito Control

Mosquito illustration

How to Identify Anopheles Mosquito | Mosquito Facts

Image coming soon

How to Repel Mosquitoes | Get Rid of Mosquitoes

What Kinds of Light are Mosquitoes Attracted to?

Can Mosquito Traps and Electric Zappers Get Rid of Mosquitoes?

How do Mosquitoes Transmit Malaria?

How do Mosquitoes Carry West Nile Virus?

Connect with Us

Our customer care team is available for you 24 hours a day.

877-819-5061

Find a Branch

Our local Pros are the pest experts in your area.

Get a Personalized Quote

We will help you find the right treatment plan for your home.

THE BEST IN PESTS.™

SERVICES

Pest ControlTermite ControlPrevent and Protect

PEST LIBRARY

Browse All Pests

© 2022 Orkin LLC

Terms of UsePrivacyAccessibility StatementCareers