Three Food Facilities Honored for Integrated Pest Management Excellence
Three food facilities were named 2012 Gold Medal™ IPM Partner Award winners by Orkin, The IPM Institute of North America and NSF International for their outstanding commitment to Integrated Pest Management (IPM) partnerships.
IPM is an environmentally friendly pest management approach that emphasizes multiple methods of non-chemical pest control and prevention. The three winning facilities were honored for their demonstrated commitment to comprehensive IPM programs that focus on vigilant sanitation, prompt adherence to structural pest management recommendations, diligent record keeping and staff participation in IPM training sessions. Effective pest control is one of the foundational elements to a robust food safety management system
“The winning facilities have made their Orkin teams an extension of their staff,” said Orkin Director of Quality Systems Zia Siddiqi, Ph.D. “This close collaboration and open dialogue contribute to these facilities achieving their pest management goals and scoring well on third-party audits.”
The 2012 Gold Medal™ IPM Partner Award winners, selected from an elite group of approximately 50 nominees from across the country, are:
- Dominion Packaging, Inc. (Richmond, Va.) – Packaging solutions company offering printing, finishing and slitting services.
- Petco Distribution Center #300 (Stockton, Calif.) – One of 10 regionally based distribution centers for the leading specialty retailer of premium pet food and supplies.
- Powertray, LLC (Mocksville, N.C.) – An environmentally friendly manufacturer and distributor of paperboard trays, bowls and lidding systems for the food industry.
Now in its ninth year, the Gold Medal™ IPM Partner Awards began as an effort by Orkin and The IPM Institute of North America to encourage the use of IPM and other environmentally friendly pest management practices.
“Our 2012 winners are a testament to the kind of success that can come with the implementation of a strong IPM program,” said Dr. Thomas Green, president of The IPM Institute of North America. “We’re thrilled to recognize these facilities for their excellence in the preventive maintenance and sanitation practices that define a true IPM program.”
As a co-presenter, NSF International brings to the program its food safety knowledge and auditing expertise.
“Food safety is an important public health issue and the 2012 award winners have indicated it is a strong focus within their organizations,” said Jim Bail, director of Consulting and Technical Services for NSF International.About the Awards Jury
- James L. Bail, director of Consulting and Technical Services, NSF International
- Austin M. Frishman, Ph.D., B.C.E., founder, AMF Pest Management Services, Inc.
- Dawn H. Gouge, Ph.D., associate professor and associate specialist - Community IPM, University of Arizona
- Thomas A. Green, Ph.D., president, The IPM Institute of North America, Inc.
- Ron Harrison, Ph.D., director of Technical Services, Orkin
- Frank Meek, BCE, International Technical and Training director, Orkin
- Zia Siddiqi, Ph.D., BCE, director of Quality Systems, Orkin